With the launch date for the first wave of ID cards of Tuesday 25th November fast approaching, more information on the shape of the scheme is coming to the public domain. Resistance to ID cards for airport workers appears to be having an effect, plans of protest are developing in all six cities where the the ID cards issuing centres are, with No Borders, Defy ID and no2id activists indicating their intention to take to the streets. The addresses of the UK Border Agency centres where student and marriage visa applicants will have to go to have their photograph and fingerprints taken are –
- Birmingham – Dominion Court, 41 Station Road, Solihull, Birmingham, B91 3RT (map)
- Croydon – Lunar House, 40 Wellesley Road, Croydon, CR9 2BY (map)
- Cardiff – General Buildings, 31-33 Newport Road, Cardiff, CF24 6AB (map)
- Glasgow – Festival Court, 200 Brand Street, Govan, Glasgow, G51 1DH (map)
- Liverpool – Reliance House, 20 Water Street, Liverpool, L2 8XU (map)
- Sheffield – Vulcan House, 6 Millsands, Sheffield S3 8NU (map)
No Borders South Wales will be protesting outside the Cardiff centre from 12 noon on the Tuesday 25th November. We welcome all opponents of the increasing levels of social control that the government wishes to extend over all our lives to take part. Join us during your lunch break from work or study to show solidarity with migrants being victimised by these cynical divide and rule tactics by The Home Office. By resisting the repression of migrants, we defend the freedom of everyone!
Somewhat unsurprisingly The Home Office are predicting considerable delays in their processing time, and the Border Agency centres will not all be ready to take ID applications at the same time, the roll out of the scheme being – 25th November: Croydon, 1st December: Sheffield, 4th December: Liverpool, 8th December: Birmingham, 10th December: Cardiff, 12th December: Glasgow.