Along with our blog we use many other elements of ‘new media‘ to spread our message. Become our followers/fans/friends/cyberstalkers/etc and tell your online buddies about us too!
As well as this blog, we contribute to Indymedia UK’s Migration Newswire (all collated on daylife), Movement Newletter and Gagged! Newsletter. There are other radical news sources on migration issues (listed under ‘publications’), but as the British mainstream media is so infamously bigoted, the most reliable liberal news source we can recommend is the Guardian: Immigration and Asylum.
Our activities have been reported on by all local news sources including BBC Wales, WalesOnline, S4C, ITV Wales, NewsWales, Alt.Cardiff and Gair Rhydd as well as specialist publications such as the Register and Pink News.
We are part of the No Borders Network in the UK, which also includes local groups in Brighton, Bristol, London, Manchester, North East, Nottingham and Scotland. There are budding groups and network contacts in other areas, as well as an on-line collaborative workplace.
There are others which may not have the same ideological outlook but do have some shared aims;
- National Coalition of Anti Deportation Campaigns – brings together families and individuals fighting deportation.
- Stop Deportation – taking action against deportation.
- Stop Deportations to Iraq – a broad coalition to stop removals to Iraq.
- Unity Centre Glasgow – solidarity and mutual aid to all asylum seekers, refugees and sans papiers.
- Association of visitors to immigration detainees – facing the challenges of detention
- Bail for Immigration Detainees – challenging immigration detention in the UK.
- Barbed Wire Britain – network to end the practice of immigration detention.
- Close Campsfield – Stop immigration detentions and imprisonment.
- Coalition against bullingdon immigration removal centre – opposing the plan to open a new detention centre near Bicester.
- Detained Lives – End indefinite detention.
- Gatwick Detainees Welfare Group – providing emotional and practical support to immigration detainees.
- Global Detention Project – investigating the role detention plays in states’ responses to global migration.
- Medical Justice – seeking basic rights for detainees.
- Antifa – militant anti-fascist network, with the nearest local group in Bristol.
- Equality and Human Rights Commission Wales – working to eliminate discrimination.
- Institute of Race Relations – coverage of racism, empire and globalisation.
- Searchlight Cymru – Against racism and fascism, the Welsh section of Searchlight. There are reasons why many anti-fascists refuse to work with them.
Against Social Control
- Campaign Against Criminalising Communities – opposing all laws based on the pretext of anti-terrorism.
- Defy-ID – actively resisting ID cards. Local groups in Nottingham, Liverpool and Bedford, there is an e-list for Cardiff.
- FITwatch – monitor and resist the activities of police that repress protest and harass protesters.
- Legal Defence and Monitoring Group – legal back up for people on demonstrations.
- NETCUwatch – monitor and resist the actions of the secretive police .
- NO2ID – opposing the database state with local groups across the country.
- Privacy International – watchdog on surveillance and privacy invasions by governments and corporations.
- Still Human, Still Here – opposing the government policy of enforced refugee destitution.
At the Borders
- Calais Migrant Solidarity – Direct support and human rights monitoring
- Calais Witnesses – Witnessing the situation for migrants at the border
- Calais9 – A zine about the situation in Calais
- Fortress Europe – Press review of deaths at the European frontiers.
- No Border Camp Calais – The protest camp that took place in summer 2009
- No Border Camp Levos – Protest Camp in August 2009
Migrant Support in South Wales
- Cardiff Student Action for Refugees – part of a national network.
- Displaced People in Action –
- Newport Refugee Support – practical support to refugees and asylum seekers.
- Oasis Cardiff –
- Refugee Voice Wales – representing refugee community organisations in Wales.
- Swansea Bay Asylum Seekers Support Group – practical support to refugees and asylum seekers.
- Welsh Refugee Council – voluntary sector agency.
- Women Seeking Sanctuary Advocacy Group Wales – advice and support group for women.
- Llanelli Asylum seeker and support group – advice and services to support Asylum Seekers and Refugees in Llanelli.
Publications / Websites
- 325: No Borders – an insurgent anti-prison zine of social war and anarchy.
- Crossing Borders – Transnational newsletter of covering the movements and struggles of migration.
- Earth First!: No Borders – ecological direct action stories and other relevant events and news.
- Libcom: Migration – an online class struggle libertarian resource and community.
- SchNEWS: Immigration – Weekly direct action newsletter.
- Wombles: Borders/Migration – news and information about anti-capitalist / anarchist direct action, protests and events.
Radical Migration Blogs
- A Long Way from Eden –
- Defend Illegal Aliens –
- Free Movement – updates and commentary on immigration and asylum law.
- No Mercy –
South Wales Activism
- Cardiff Anarchist Black Cross – supporting political prisoners.
- Cardiff Radical Socialist Forum – radical left forum for discussion and unified action.
- Climate Camp Cymru – radical environmental direct action.
- South Wales Anarchists – network of autonomous non-hierarchal groups.
- Industrial Workers of the World: Wales – part of the UK section of the international syndicalist trade union.
- Westside Climate Action – activists from the West of England and South Wales who organise a local neighbourhood area at Climate Camp.
Transnational links in English
- Anarkismo: Migration/Racism – international anarchist-communist site.
- Clandestine English – Blog in English by the Group of Immigrants & Refugees, Thessaloniki
- Delete the Border – towards a global network of movements against borders.
- Everyone – Human rights group in Italy.
- Karawane – The caravan
- Migreurop – publicising the detention of undocumented migrants in Europe.
- No Border – Repository of information on migration related developments in europe.
- No Lager – against the global camp system
- No One Is Illegal – Canada – fighting for migrant dignity.
- Residents against Racism – Opposing state racism in Ireland.
- This Tuesday – Blogs on migration and transnational organizing
- The Voice – Refugee forum
- Turn off the Stockholm Programme –
- United – European network against nationalism, racism, fascism and in support of migrants.
The No Borders UK collaborative workspace including a Migration A – Z is a project to build a portal to everything anyone needs to know about border controls in the UK and the resistance against it. However it is still very much a work in process. Here’s a selection of links that you might find useful.
- Asylum Aid – legal representation to asylum-seekers.
- Asylum Support Appeals Project – free legal representation, advice and information about entitlement to asylum support.
- Immigration Advisory Service – charity providing representation and advice in immigration and asylum law.
- Immigration Law Practitioners’ Association – group of lawyers, advice workers, academics and law students.
- Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants – campaigning for justice in immigration & asylum law & policy.
- Refugee and Migrant Justice – lawyers committed to securing justice for asylum seekers and other migrants.
- UK Lesbian & Gay Immigration Group – information and advice on immigration rights for same sex couples and support for lesbian and gay asylum seekers.
- Corporate Watch – research on the social and environmental impact of corporations
- Electronic Immigration Network – information on UK immigration and refugee law.
- Forced Migration Current Awareness – information relating to refugees, IDPs and forced migration.
- Global Detention Project – investigating the role detention plays in states’ responses to global migration
- Information Centre about Asylum and Refugees (Cardiff) – information about asylum seekers and refugees resident in Cardiff.
- RefugeeMap – collaborative Wiki
- Statewatch: Asylum and immigration – monitoring the state and civil liberties in Europe
Useful sites for Activists
- Activist Legal Project – information about law for activists.
- Activist Tat Collective – providing equipment, transport and training for grassroots movements
- Activist Trauma Support – Supporting people who have been traumatized through political action
- Seeds of Change – workshops and training for campaign groups.
- Trapese – ‘Taking Radical Action through Popular Education and Sustainable Everything!’